You may have read this week’s blog I wrote about how we are all toxic (no exceptions). Well if you are struggling trying to lose weight and are unsuccessful, read on….
We’ve been seriously studying the causes of obesity and weight gain in regards to environmental toxins since 2002 when an article came out in The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine highlighting the link between obesity and toxins in animal studies. Since then human studies have confirmed this is the case. The Canadian award-winning documentary, “Programmed to be Fat” explains the shocking connection between weight gain and the toxins we are exposed to every day.
The term “obesogens” is used to describe these environmental toxins, about 15-20 chemicals that specifically cause weight gain, according to Jerry Heindel who leads the extramural research program in obesity at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS). These obesogens mostly consist of chemicals that are known endocrine disruptors which means they block the bodies ability for very important hormones to do their job. The chemicals act as hormone mimickers and these hormones are responsible for burning fat.
If you think you have not been exposed, think again! The obesogens are widespread and common according to an 2012 article in the journal Environmental Health Perspective;
“In one 2010 study, Kurunthachalam Kannan, a professor of environmental sciences at the University at Albany, State University of New York, documented organotins [tin-based compounds] in a designer handbag, wallpaper, vinyl blinds, tile, and vacuum cleaner dust collected from 24 houses.30 Phthalates, plasticizers that also have been related to obesity in humans, 31 occur in many PVC items as well as in scented items such as air fresheners, laundry products, and personal care products.”
Bruce Blumberg, a biology professor at University of California, Irvine coined the term obesogen. In his research, he found that tributyltin (TBT), which is a chemical that has been found in human blood, breast milk, and liver tissue, activates PPARγ, the master regulator of adipogenesis, creator of fat.
So what are the toxins keeping us fat? Here is a partial list of the most prevalent things we are exposed to everyday just to get an idea of the scale of the problem:
- Chemical Pesticides, especially Atrazine and DDE: Found in n non-organic foods (especially the “dirty dozen” and in tap water.
- BPA: Found in canned foods, plastics, medical devices and cash register receipts.
- PFOA: Nonstick coatings like Teflon, Gore-Tex, food packaging, carpeting, clothing, backpacks and luggage, and has even been found in water.
- Phthalates: Found in plastic and vinyl, toys, wall paint, air fresheners, as well as numerous beauty and personal care products.
- Tributyltin (TBT): Found in ship paint, vinyl, as a fungicide, bactericide or pesticide, and as a preservative for wood, textiles and carpets.
- PCBs: Formerly used as a flame retardant but banned in 1979, but are found in contaminated fish, meat or dairy products.
- PDBEs (flame retardants): Found in furniture, but also cars, electronics, building materials, plastics foam and textiles.
If you are struggling getting weight off no matter how much you eat or exercise, you are not alone. Just this year it has been estimated that now over 70% of the U.S. population is now overweight and 90% of dieters gain all their weight back and then some according to an article in Times Magazine, “The Weight Loss Trap”. Based on the evidence that we are toxic AND fat, the conclusion can be drawn that by getting rid of these toxins that have built up in our bodies could help clear the path to successful weight loss.
Now the questions is, what can you do about it? There is a sea of options out there, Googling “detox” bring over 38 million results! Kind of overwhelming. If you want a simple approach that does not involve fasting or fancy supplements contact us for more information. By reducing the daily the toxins that were hidden right under our nose (until now) and getting the body eliminating these toxins better, we can get back control of our weight in a healthy, effective way.
Call us now to sign up for a free consult to see how we can help!